You must always have your library card in order to checkout materials. Your library card is also good at any WVLN library throughout 33 counties and 103 libraries in West Virginia!
- When applying for a library card, you must present a photo ID and a proof of address (if you have a current and up-to-date driver’s license, that counts for both). You should have the name and telephone number of a person who does not live at your address when applying for a card for an other contact.
- The first library card is free, replacement cards for all patrons will cost $3.00.
- Children under the age of 13 are required to have a parent or guardian bring the child requesting a card to the library and be present for the card to be created, unless the application is sent home via backpack mail from classes that are regularly visiting the library. Children ages 13-18 must have a parent or guardian sign their library card application, but do not have to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to create their card. All parents/guardians signing for minors must be library patrons in good standing, provided they have a library card.
- A library card cannot be issued to an agency, organization or department without an individual representing the agency, organization or department signing the card application and being responsible for the account.
All materials check out for 21 days with the following exceptions:
- DVDs – 7 days – limit 5 DVDs per person (3 for new patrons less than a year old).
- WV Contractor’s books and Study Guides – 7 days (indicated on book spine) WV Contractor’s books, Nursing study guides, ASVAB, and GED books require a deposit that is refunded when the books are returned.
You will be given a receipt at the time of checkout showing when items are due, and may also call or check your account online to see when items are due.
- Any item may be renewed two times if another patron has not placed a hold on the item.
- Items may be renewed at the circulation desk, online or by phone.
- Books – $.05 per day (maximum of $5.00 per book).
- DVDs and Audiobooks – $.50 per day (maximum of $10.00 per video)
Patrons with charges totaling $5.00 or more will not be able to check out until after the charges have been reduced below $5.00.
Patrons are responsible and accountable for costs, fees, and fines for all library materials checked out on their library card. Children may receive a library card when they turn four (4) years old. Parents/Legal guardians are responsible for library materials checked out by their children.
- If library materials are lost, stolen, or damaged severely enough to require withdrawal from the collection, the patron on whose card the material was checked out, or the patron assuming responsibility for the child on whose card said material was checked out will be charged the list price of the material at the time of library purchase as noted in the item(s) record(s).
- Recognizing that the library is a publicly funded institution, this price covers the cost of the material and any other expenses required to return the material to circulation. There will be no refund on lost material if said material is found after payment has been made.
- Items such as DVDs or kits that contain missing or incomplete pieces will remain checked out on a patron’s card until the item is paid for in total or the missing parts are returned. Library staff will contact the patron via phone or email to request the return of the missing part(s). Overdue fines and fees will continue to accrue until the item is made whole.
- Patrons have the option to purchase replacement copies of lost or damaged items to be in lieu of remuneration to the library. All replacements must be approved by a member of library administration BEFORE the replacement copy is purchased. The replacement copy must be exactly identical to the damaged item (same ISBN, edition, etc.) and must be in like new or better condition. The replacement copy will be subject to review by our library staff before the fee is waived.